Your First job is one of the most important decisions you will ever make in your professional career. It’s so important not only because you learn how to be professional, to work in a team, and understand yourself better. But your first job is most important because it puts you on a career path that you will probably follow for a long period of time.
When to start, how to start, what company to choose, and what salary you can expect – all these questions are individual, but there are trends that correspondent to the Ukrainian IT market. A popular IT discussion platform – dou.ua – asked developers about their first job experience. Find results in the blog post below.
The total number of specialists that answered the questions in this survey is 3238.
Combining work and education
83% of those who studied in the IT specialization began working during their senior years – the third year and above:
What else is interesting is that 55% of those who didn’t choose an IT specialization in the University (that’s a quarter of all respondents), also began to work during their college years:
87% of all respondents graduated from college before 2006, so the results for the period from 2006 till 2015 are:
Not a surprise, that the most popular employer among young specialists in Ukraine is outsourcing companies (44.10%), then it’s product companies (27.69%), and IT departments in all types of companies (18.80%). The huge tech trend of the last few years – startup companies employ more than 5% of all young specialists.
So the main results are:
- Most young specialist began to work in their third year of college or later;
- The most desirable first employer is an outsourcing company;
- Personal qualities are more important than good theoretical knowledge for getting employed;
- 60% of all the specialists changed their coding language after a couple years of work;
- The main reason for choosing IT is a highly-developed tech world, not high salaries.
- Programming Languages Popularity among Ukrainian Developers (softheme-blog-2017)
- Ukraine – 4th Place Worldwide in the Number of Certified IT Professionals [Infographic] (softheme-blog-2017)